Thursday, December 4, 2008

What's happening to my fingernails?? Yikes!

Gee; I was so proud. Thinking I had avoided yet another chemotherapy side effect... nope. I guess I just was able to stop chemo so quickly that it hadn't had time to surface yet. Now that my finger and toe nails are growing out and the parts that had been damaged by the chemo are reaching about mid-way point.. holy crap! I lost one nail just below the half way down point... painful and frustrating. I tried nail-glueing it; that worked for a couple of days. I have been faithfully using the super nail hardener... sort of helps. But as of today I can see splits and cracks about half way down on 4 fingernails and 2 toes. wow.

I can work okay, but typing is a little sting here and there. When I work with the roses I just put floral tape on them and I can do just fine; although it looks a little funny. Bandaids fall off when they get soggy; the floral tape doesn't. But if any of my clients get a mysterious looking wad of floral tape in their box of roses...um.... it'd be from me. Just kidding... I'm really careful, that won't happen. I'm sure florists have millions of uses for floral tape, and viola' I have found a new one!

I can even see rings on my nails; like you count on a tree to determine age. One ring for each chemo treatment.

1 comments:

Kristin said...

You have a beautiful blog -- you're a great writer. The story of rings on your nails from your chemo treatments was very poignant.

I'm also a single mom, of three. My youngest daughter who is 7 actually shares your b-day, June 18.

I heard about your blog and your company from Michelle Robson, who I work for at www.EmpowHer.com. Keep up the great writing on your blog!!

Warmest regards,
Kristin
kristin@empowher.com