Sunday, September 28, 2008

My first sponge bath...

Nope, I've never had one before. It felt strangely good. A woman from the Ukraine did it. It was funny... just the accent alone made it amusing. If you can picture it, "you vant me do vash the back now yes?" They finally have my pain under control but I'm still coughing and it sounds like I have a Harley on my chest when I breathe.

Funny things are coming back to me now. Without knowing; I caused trouble for my surgeon. The OR nurse asked if I had been marked; you know how they mark you with an X with a sharpie to make sure they do the right side? So I said "yes, a girl in his office did it." Unbeknownst to me, that is against the hospital rules and the surgeon must mark you personally. This nurse was so pissed off that she made my surgeon come out of the OR to mark me himself. He was mad. He strode over to me with one of those mad fast walks, threw back the top of my gown on the shoulder and then with a ball point pen he roughly drew a small X in the same spot as the sharpie X. He then said, "I marked her myself, happy now?" Then he turned away and walked out in a huff. The nurse had a huge grin of satisfaction; I had a pissed off surgeon. Good thing I didn't tell her that I interrupted their lunch and a girl marked me in the hallway while holding a plate of Chinese food.

This left everyone in the pre-op room with gaping mouths and a tad bit nervous. Especially the 2 guys that were wheeling me in... so what happens? As they take off with me they get wrapped up in the TV cord and start to pull it off the wall. It doesn't come all the way off though; but that's because the weight of the gurney and me managed to sever the cord before the fall could happen. So we destroyed a hospital TV.

As I was waking up in recovery I was having dream in which my son was showing me something, the details are sketchy. But it was some new idea he had come up with that made us millions... I'm going to start paying attention to all his ideas... lol.

My recovery nurse is a breast cancer survivor. And we spent my recovery time sharing chemo stories. She was really sweet. It's mind boggling. I have met so many people who have either had cancer or know someone close that has... it's a disease that affects so many people. In some cases people refer to it like it's a root canal or something... you know by saying, "well when my grandmother had her breast cancer...” Odd.

0 comments: