Friday, November 14, 2008

Poets

Jungle Roses often gets orders from "famous" people; actors, athletes, and the occasional rock star. We fill an unusual niche' in the marketplace.

But recently an order came through that really got my attention. We received an order from Maya Angelou. We had sent roses to her in the past from a few of our famous clients, but this was the first time she had ordered herself. She sent them to someone else notable; but the fact that she ordered herself really got me.

I gleefully mentioned it to a few people and got met with a blank stare... they could not remember who she was or why she was a big deal. I explained, "poet, author, Bill Clinton, amazing woman..." (insert the sound of crickets chirping). One of my business associates admitted to googling her to see who she was.. "oh yeah..., that's cool".. was the reply. I said, "Look even her message card is a beautiful phrase of poetry!"

I suppose maybe you have to be a bookish nerd like me and my friends to be overwhelmed by such a thing. I recall a story about someone in our circle of friends who was working at a UPS shipping facility a few years ago. She got assigned the task of packing and shipping an antique parking meter to Dr. Angelou. She was so excited that before she packed it she slipped a coin of her own in the meter so that something that was once hers would now be in Dr. Angelou's garden, or house or wherever the meter was destined for... she also had some explaining to do about why her package was "ticking" as it waited for pick up.

So I wish to give a big thank you to Dr. Angelou for making my day. There is a group of women here in Utah that you have inspired. I'm honored to have served you.

I think it's about time for another President to pick a poet Laureate. Are you listening President Elect Obama? I read that she is already writing one... but in true humble form doesn't expect to be asked. I think it would be great if she was..

0 comments: