Monday, November 3, 2008

Happy Halloween!



After taking my son on our version of "trick or treating" Halloween night; I took him out to dinner. We left a bowl of candy on the doorstep and slipped away at about the time the visits from neighborhood kids were winding down. My son refuses to go trick or treating in the neighborhood because he hates dogs. I think every house in our neighborhood except us has a dog that is about eye level with him and most are not all that well trained. You can be guaranteed a greeting of vicious barking in your face upon knocking on any door around here. Instead we visited a local store that offered trick or treating throughout. That was fun.

As we were eating dinner I have to admit looking at him and thinking "geez; I amost wasn't here for this Halloween... what if I'm not here for the next one?" That's truly frightening. I hope that eventually those kind of thoughts go away.. that next year I'll not even think it, and the year after that and after that... it's a sobering thought. I'm looking forward to that day when I will forget that I had cancer. I wonder if that ever happens?

For some unknown reason my son has started talking about us "becoming angels at the same time". I have no idea why he suddenly started this line of conversation. Out of the blue he started telling me and a few other people; that "Mom and I will become angels at the same time and we will go to the same place together..." Whoa. I know my being in the hospital was scary for him. He definitely associates hospital stays with death. Perhaps this is some way for him to comfort himself that he won't be here alone? I don't know, but it's hard to hear and even harder to respond to...??? I hope that goes away soon too.

On a brighter note; my public blog is getting good response. We sold our first "Pink in the Jungle" package. And I formed a "partnership" with the Huntsman Cancer Foundation. All of my profits from the Pink in the Jungle Package will go to them and will be directed to breast cancer research. They are sending me brochures I can include in the packages if I want and also letting me put their logo on our website. That's cool. I'm looking for more ways to promote it. Due to a few technical glitches I sort of missed out on the October breast cancer month blitz. Ah well.... next year we will be well positioned.

Check out the Halloween photo. Here is a first glimpse of my post-chemo hair! It's been about 3 months now I think.... it came in a lot, lot grayer and it seems to be a lot straighter too. I'm getting used to it. I still wear hats a lot because my ears get cold... and my neck. I'll be buying turtle necks and scarves this winter!

0 comments: