Monday, June 9, 2008

3rd time not so charming...

Wow... I'm just coming off the chemo-train for the 3rd time. This time was so much more intense than the first two. Not so much the level of discomfort, but the relentlessness of it. Every muscle in my body hurt. And then I got these crazy involuntary muscle contractions... I'd just be sitting there and whamo, my leg would bend all on its own making me sort of jump. It was one of those things that are tragically funny. It hurt, looked strange and made you laugh, all at the same time.

I spent a lot of the past few days sitting on my bed in a Lortab fog while Lee, Linda and TC entertained my son. And thank goodness for Legos! Friday night my son and I had to be alone and we were able to pass the time and get through it okay by building a huge, new Lego set on my bed. I'll always remember that; sitting on my bed building Lego race cars. I hurt and could barely move, but he was thrilled to sit with me and build for hours on end. There may always be a secret Lego set hidden in the closet for such emergencies.

On Saturday Lee took him to Home Depot and they returned with a much bigger project to build—Lee is so much like our Dad. A small project like, "I'll just put a shelf up here," turns into a near complete remodel. Our family room is now a work in progress. Hmmmm... Next I'm going to mention how my bathroom could use a "shelf" and see what happens...

I feel a lot better this morning; except my hands and feet are weirdly numb. I know that is a side effect of the chemo but it's still such a weird feeling. It's like when one of your limbs falls asleep and you get that pins and needles feeling when it starts to wake up. Only I have that pins and needles thing constantly. It feels weird to type... and it makes me walk kind of funny.

I've also lost most of my eyebrows now. I didn't really notice that happen... that makes you look strange. Now I really look like I have cancer... it's all in the brows.

0 comments: