Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I’m one of the less than 1%?

I had another thorocentisis done today. If you have yet to read what that is in my blogs, they stick an alarmingly long needle in your back, between your ribs, and then insert a narrow tube to drain fluid off your lung. Picture a really sharp, narrow drinking straw. It's about the same length, but much thinner. It's rather painless, although annoying, to have done. And, since I can't see behind my back, I can only imagine how freakish that must look having a tube sticking out of your back with fluid running out of it—like siphoning gas out of a car tank. This is my 3rd time. The first time was with Dr. Abdulla in that "Jiffy Lung Lube" office of his. The second time happened while I was under sedation. Today I thought it was the best yet.

It was done by two radiology technicians, guided by ultrasound, nearly pain free, and only just barely annoying. Other than some harsh coughing at the end, it was a breeze. The young radiology women that did it were nice and easy going. Not bad...

They took another liter and 1/2 off of my left lung. It took about half and hour and they entertained me with stories about the mock disaster drill the hospital had just run the day before that included a smoking fire.

They sent me for an x-ray after the procedure. There are some risks with the process. One is, of course infection, but they sterilize etc. and that just never happens. The second one is what they call "pneumothorax." Where they somehow puncture or injure the lung and it causes an air pocket. Basically a hole gets poked in the lung and when you breathe the air then escapes the lung into the pocket area where the fluid now is... but don't worry... pshaah... happens less than 1% of the time… sign here to agree that you know these risks and want the procedure anyway.

I got the x-ray; the x-ray girl said I was "free to go." I was thrilled. That was easy.

We got about half way home when my cell phone started ringing. I saw it was the hospital and chose not to answer. I was feeling too good to hear anything from them. I got a panic message from the radiologist that did my procedure. I was one of the less than 1%. "Would I please call her ASAP? They let me go before she saw the x-ray, I have pnemothorax."

Bummer. I called and told her I felt "fine." She had already panicked and called Dr. Johnson's office, whom, I am guessing, gave her my cell number to try and reach me. She told me they usually resolve themselves in day or so, but could I come back for an x-ray in 4 hours? I told her I couldn't imagine that it wasn't already fine because I felt great, no coughing, nothing. So she agreed that I could skip the 4 hour x-ray but had to come back in the morning for another x-ray to make sure. Sigh...

Then I got a panicked call from a nurse in Dr. Johnson's office. I told her the same—I felt good, really good. She made me promise to go straight to the ER if I had any pain, a rapid heartbeat or started coughing badly. I promised. And please come and get an x-ray in the morning.

So it's now about 9 pm and so far, so good. TC just took our son to the store to buy meat for the grill. Yep, he is going to grill in the rain... lol. It's tough to get my son off the computer... so I took the opportunity and looked up pneumothorax on the 'net. This is not something I want. But I can tell by what I read that mine will be okay or I would be a lot more uncomfortable than I am now... whew.

0 comments: