Sunday, May 4, 2008

How I got here from there. Part 3

So now I had to wait to hear back from Dr. Abdulla about the results of the tests he ran on the fluid taken from my "tap". In the meantime I had an appointment scheduled for a diagnostic mammogram that was about a week away. A few days later I got a call from Dr. Abdulla—the results were “inconclusive.” What does that mean? He says that means they have to test some more, but "would I please keep that appointment for the mammogram?" Yes, of course I would.

I went to the mammogram fully expecting to have them find nothing like cancer. The tests on the fluid were "inconclusive" after all. I was squished and x-rayed and all that—then they did an ultrasound. The women were all lovely, friendly and professional. At the end of the ultrasound the technician said she wanted to bring in Dr. Babcock to go over what they saw.

Dr. Babcock comes in and looks at me with that look of fear I have now come to recognize. First thing she says it "can you move this arm at all?" as if I was so ill I couldn't even move my arm. I say "sure…" and move it all around, like what the hell? She looks some more at the ultra sound and then she says "I think you have cancer". I argue again, isn't there any other type of condition that could cause what they are seeing? She smirks. I ask her to humor me... she says "yes there are a few rare endocrine things that could do this." Ah hah! That's it. I tell her there are some strange things that run in my family.

But she says. "I feel very strongly about this. I need to schedule you for a biopsy right away and an MRI as soon as possible. I feel so strongly that I am not waiting for the test of the biopsy to come back before you get the MRI. We need to do this now."

A very efficient, hyper-friendly lady named Claudia comes in and starts asking me about appointment times. Does this day work here, this day there? I'm still stunned. I just do not believe it. At one point she looks at me, puts her hand on my knee and says "I have to leave the room for a minute, will you be okay here alone?" Damn. They really think I have cancer and right now I should be in a puddle of tears. Fools.

They did the biopsy a few days later. That was no fun... worse than a lung tap. But I would say less painful than getting a tattoo, except you don't have the fun of a new piece of art to show off—unless you count the needle holes. They took 4 samples and were going for more when the numbing agent wore off. They had the needle in my armpit and were trying desperately to numb it some more but it wasn't working. That hurt like hell. They said I was "amazingly brave."

They bandaged me up and gave me some ice packs to hold under my arm and breast. Claudia was excited because I started my period and that meant she could schedule my MRI right away. I guess they get a better MRI for this situation if you have recently started your period. Who knew? Claudia is like a Grandma version of Miss Julie from Romper Room. So happy, so friendly, so sincerely concerned. I loved her.

I drove myself home and waited for the results that would come a day later.

0 comments: